History of Ryukoku University

TOP > About Ryukoku University > History of Ryukoku University
History of Ryukoku University(1639)

The history of Ryukoku University began with the opening of the Gakuryō educational facility at Nishi Hongwanji in 1639. Since then for 365 years, the University has been on the cutting-edge, aiming to maintain the most excellent learning environment.
Moreover, precious literature and documents have been donated to the University from various fields of society over its long history. Most of them are contained in the library of each campus including Omiya Campus and utilized for advanced education and research.

image1
 Index 1639~ >>1922~ >>1982~
1639
(Kan'ei 16)
Gakuryō educational facility completed at Nishi Hongwanji in Kyoto.
1655
(Meireki 1)
Gakuryō dissolved by the order of the Shogunate and thereafter, lectures given in the temporary house of Gakurin institution of higher education at Higashinakasuji Uonotana Sagaru.
1695
(Genroku 8)
Lecture hall and dormitory of Gakurin reconstructed at Higasinakasuji Gakurin-cho.
1871(Meiji 4) Gakurin moved into the premises of Nishi Hongwanji.
1876 (Meiji 9) Gakurin renamed Daikyōkō (university), and 7 of Chūkyōkō (middle school) and a Shōkyōkō (primary school) in each prefecture established throughout Japan.
1879 (Meiji 12)
Daikyōkō completed.
(The present Honkan (Central Hall), Nankō (South Hall), Hokkō (North Hall), and Main Gate at Omiya Campus)
The present Honkan, Nankō, and Hokkō are the lecture hall and dormitories, respectively, of those days. It is said that these buildings were modeled after those of Western monasteries.
Honkan, Nankō, Hokkō, former Guard Station, and Main Gate are all designated Important Cultural Properties as buildings of early Western-style architecture in Japan.

1885 (Meiji 18) Futsūkyōkō (General School) opened (at the present Tōkō (East Hall) of Omiya Campus).
1887 (Meiji 20) Interested students of Futsūkyōkō published the Hanseikai Magazine.
Mainly the professors and students of Futsūkyōkō formed Hanseikai (Gathering for Reflection), a social reformation organization that adopted a stance against alcohol. Their bulletin, Hanseikai Magazine, was renamed Chūōkōron in 1899 and it later grew to be Japan's first general interest magazine.
1888 (Meiji 21) Annoucement of Daigakurin (Great Institute)'s rule and adopted system consisting of two institutes and one dormitory, i.e. Kōkyūin (Research Institute), Naigakuin (Internal Institute), and Bungakuryō (Literary Dormitory) into which Futsūkyōkō was renamed and unified.
1900 (Meiji 33) Renewed educational system and newly formed Buddhist university, Buddhist advanced junior high school, and Buddhist junior high school.
1902 (Meiji 35) Separated Bukkyō Daigaku (Buddhist University) into Bukkyō Senmon Daigaku (Buddhist Special University) in Kyoto and Takanawa Bukkyō Daigaku (Takanawa Buddhist University)in Tokyo.
Bukkyō Daigaku (Buddhist University) separated into Bukkyō Senmon Daigaku (Buddhist Special University) in Kyoto and Takanawa Bukkyō Daigaku (Takanawa Buddhist University) in Tokyo.

1904 (Meiji 37) Those two universities unified to form Bukkyō Daigaku (Buddhist University) in Kyoto.

 Index >>1639~ >>1922~ >>1982~
Access & Campus Map Contact us
Ryukoku University 67 Tsukamoto-cho, Fukakusa Fushimi-ku,Kyoto 612-8577 Japan
TEL 075-642-1111 FAX 075-642-8867
E-mail:
webmaster@ad.ryukoku.ac.jp
Copyright(C) 1996- Ryukoku University All Rights Reserved