History of Ryukoku University

TOP > About Ryukoku University > History of Ryukoku University

History of Ryukoku University(1922~)

  Index   >>1639~  >>1922~  >>1982~

1922
(Taisho 11)
Became a university based on University Law.
Renamed Ryukoku University.

1928
(Showa 3)
Female students' entrance was approved.
Women were admitted to Ryukoku University for the first time.

1937
(Showa 12)
Honkan (Central Hall) in Omiya Campus designated Historical Site.
1949
(Showa 24)
Ryukoku University approved under new educational system.
Faculty of Letters (four-year system) opened.

1950
(Showa 25)

Department of Buddhist Studies in Junior College opened.
1953
(Showa 28)
Shin Buddhist History Course of Department of Shin Buddhism and Buddhist History Course of Department of Buddhist Studies opened in Master' Degree Program in Graduate School of Letters.
Buddhist scriptures and ancient historical documents obtained by the Otani Expedition were donated from the Otani family of Nishi Hongwanji.
The Otani Expedition was the academic expeditionary party dispatched three times by Otani Kozui, the 22nd Monshu (spiritual leader) of Nishi Hongwanji at the beginning of the 20th century in order to confirm the process of the eastward expansion of Buddhism which originated in India.
Those scriptures and documents are "Cultural Artifacts of Central Asia brought by the Otani Expedition" and are kept at the Library of Omiya Campus.

1955
(Showa 30)
Proposed plan to elevate Ryukoku to a comprehensive university in commemoration of the 700th memorial service of Shinran Shonin (planned in 1961).
Shin Buddhist History Course of Department of Shin Buddhism and Buddhist History Course of Department of Buddhist Studies opened in the Doctoral Degree Program in Graduate School of Letters.

1960
(Showa 35)
Fukakusa Campus opened.
The picture shows the then Fukakusa Campus around 1968.
Ryukoku University obtained the U.S. Army military base located in Fushimi-ku, Kyoto and utilized facilities of the military camp for classrooms and offices just as they were.

1961
(Showa 36)
Department of Economics in Faculty of Economics opened.
Institute of Buddhist Cultural Studies opened.

1962
(Showa 37)
Department of Social Welfare opened in Junior College.
1963
(Showa 38)
Department of Business Administration opened in Faculty of Economics.
1964
(Showa 39)
Honkan (Central Hall), Main Gate and so on in Omiya Campus were designated Important Cultural Properties.
1966
(Showa 41)
Department of Business Administration opened in Faculty of Business Administration.
1967
(Showa 42)
Departments of Shin Buddhism, Buddhist Studies, Philosophy, Japanese History, Oriental History, Japanese Literature, and English Literature opened in both Master's and Doctoral Degree Programs in Graduate School of Letters.
1968
(Showa 43)
Department of Law opened in Faculty of Law.
Department of Sociology opened in Faculty of Letters.


1969
(Showa 44)
Institute of Sociology opened.
1972
(Showa 47)
Master's Degree Program in Graduate School of Law opened. Faculty of Law started the Traveling Free Legal Advice.
1973
(Showa 48)
330th anniversary of its founding observed. Library at Fukakusa Campus completed.
1974
(Showa 49)

Doctoral Degree Program in Graduate School of Law opened.
1975
(Showa 50)
Long-term Plan I of Ryukoku University announced.

  Index   >>1639~  >>1922~  >>1982~
Access & Campus Map Contact us
Ryukoku University 67 Tsukamoto-cho, Fukakusa Fushimi-ku,Kyoto 612-8577 Japan
TEL 075-642-1111 FAX 075-642-8867
E-mail:
webmaster@ad.ryukoku.ac.jp
Copyright(C) 1996- Ryukoku University All Rights Reserved